Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Testament of Abraham

Dale C. Allison published his great commentary on the Testament of Abraham last fall:
Testament of Abraham. (Commentaries on Early Jewish Literature; Walter de Gruyter; Berlin, 2003). 527 pages.
This book would surely prove valuable to Philo-scholars too; the commentary is a mine of background- and parallell-references to Abraham traditions, and as such interesting for those studying Philo’s works too.
The Testament of Abraham came to the attention of western scholars as late as in the 1892. Its content is a fascinating story recounting “the dramatic and humerous circumstances of Abraham’s death.” (Allison 3). I might have some further comments on the commentary, but I have to read more in it before I would venture into that.
What caught my attention today, however, was Allison’s Preface to his commentary: He says “ Several years ago, I read some of the Pseudepigrapha to my children, who were then 6, 8 and 10. They hated Joseph and Asenath. They liked the Testament of Job. But they loved the Testament of Abraham. Their delight in the latter, and a latter request to hear it again, solidified my conviction that the Testament of Abraham is a wonderful story with a potentially wide appeal.” (xii) I had never before thought about its potential as a book for children readings, now the idea seems quite good to me. But now my children are grown ups...
Hm, maybe some day some grandchild reading?
Tolle lege!.

No comments: