Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Interpreting Philo’s De Abrahamo


The last of the two sessions in the Philo of Alexandria Group at the SBL Annual Meeting last November was devoted to the theme Interpreting Philo’s De Abrahamo. The session was presided over by Annewies van den Hoek, Harvard University, and the first speaker was professor (now retired) John Dillon, Trinity College, Dublin. He is working on a commentary on De Abrahamo, and presented a section of that work.
It is always fascinating to listen to Professor Dillon. In his ways of presenting, he might remind you somewhat of Philo; easily going into some digressions; because of his great knowledge of this writing and its context, small issues might rise great questions. But he managed to keep himself on the track, to the reward of all who were present.
His presentation was followed by three responses, on which see below.

If you click on the pictures, you'll get them full-sized.

Update:
Ken Schenck, whom I have seen, but never been able to talk to, also has some comments on this session. Check out his blog here.

6 comments:

Ken Schenck said...

Thanks for posting these. I have never met you, although I'm reviewing your 1 Peter book. I made a brief post on the session in my world and realized in retrospect you were surely there. I've adjusted my post and linked your comments. Thanks...

TorreyS said...

Funny, And you probably know that I once reviewed your Philo book, for the SBL Bookreviews...

Ken Schenck said...

:-) Yes, thanks for kind words...

Anonymous said...

Hello, thank you for your posts.
Do you know if this session is going to be published somewhere one day ? I learned about this SBL Metting too late to be able to attend, but given that I work on Abraham in Philo's works, I'm very interested in knowing what was said.

TorreyS said...

Hi; I don't know for sure, but I would expect some of it to be published in the next year's issue of Studia Philonica Annual. But nothing was said about this in the session.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your answer!
Wait and see, then...