Does any one out there know the background of this saying? How come it is attributed to Philo?
Thursday, September 15, 2005
Be Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.
I was just trying out the Google Blog Search,mentioned today by Mark Goodacre, and up came this slogan that I have seen from time to time, always attributed to PhiloBe Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. The problem is, however, that I have never read this in any of Philo's works. I may have overlooked it, that's possible,- of course. But searches in both the Greek text and in Whiston's old translation have given no 'hits'.
Does any one out there know the background of this saying? How come it is attributed to Philo?
Does any one out there know the background of this saying? How come it is attributed to Philo?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Most of my research has yielded that the quote is actually "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle," and is attributed to Plato, not Philo.
Its not a quote from Plato, not even the sort of thing I would think Plato would even say, its found in works by John B. Watson the psychologist and is a statement made in conjunction with his theories about behaviorism. The full quote should be something more like "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle with his own ego."
Post a Comment