Saturday, March 27, 2004

Talmud on-line

Scholars discuss wether Philo knew Hebrew or not; most seem to be of the opinion that he did not. He probably knew some terms, but that he read Hebrew is doubted. His language was Greek, and his 'Bible' the Septuagint, in some version. But whether he knew much of the Jewish traditions is quite another issue: In writing about Moses, he said: I tell the story of Moses as I have learned it, both from the sacred books, the wonderful monuments of his wisdom which he has left behind him, and from some of the elders of the nation; for I always interwove what I was told with what I read, and thus believed myself to have a closer knowledge that others of his life's story. Hence he most probably was acquainted not only with the Torah, but with Jewish tradiitons of Haggadah and Halakah. The sites listed below provide access to the both the Jeruslalem and the Babylonian Talmuds, some of them given in both English and Hebrew.
The Babylonian Talmud, The Babylonian Talmud, Translated by Michael L. Rodkinson. Not complete, and criticized by some. You can read, and avaluate for yourself, more Jewish texts from this site here.
In Hebrew: Torah, Neviim and Ketubah
The Mishnah
The Talmud Jerusalaiim
The Talmud Babli - Babylonian Talmud

Those not so familiar with Philo or these Jewish works, may want to read further information on the Wikipedia Free Encyclopedia. As always, read critically!: on Philo, read here; on the Talmuds, read here, the Free Encyclopedia.

No comments: