Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Review of Biblical Literature

The recent reviews, issued by the review service of Society of Biblical Literature, did not contain much directly related to Philo or Diaspora Judaism, but this one is worth mentioning: Charlesworth, James H. and Michael A. Daise, editors, Light in a Spotless Mirror: Reflections on Wisdom Traditions in Judaism and Early Christianity. (Harrisburg, Pa.: Trinity Press International, 2003 )pp. ix + 149.
This slim volume contains the following articles: Roland Murphy, Israels Wisdom: Dialogue between the Sages (pp. 7-25)
Peter Schafer, Wisdom finds a Home: Torah as Wisdom (pp. 26-44)
Peder Borgen, The Gospel of John and Philo of Alexandria (pp. 45-76)
D. Moody Smith, John and the Synoptics: Historical Tradition and the Passion narrative (pp. 77-91)
James H. Charlesworth, Lady Wisdom and Johaninne Christology (pp. 92-133)
I admit I have not read the volume myself, but this is what I have gathered from the reviews. The article of Borgen I have read, you will find my comments here. You may read the reviews by yourself here: Review One by Raymond Van C. Leuwen, and Review Two by Tobias Nicklas.

No comments: