Thursday, June 24, 2004

Some bibliographic notes..

The New Testament Abstracts is indeed a very valuable publication. As the publishers state on its homepage, "Founded in 1956, New Testament Abstracts has become an indispensable research and bibliographic aid for scholars, librarians, clergy, and students of the New Testament and its historical milieu. Every year NTA abstracts up to 2,150 articles chosen from more than 500 periodicals in numerous languages. Nearly 800 current books are also summarized annually." I can fully agree to that. There is also a CD version available; CD-ROM Release 1.0, contains all abstracts and book notices published in NTA from 1988 through 1998. I might just wonder, is there any plans about making the bibliographies available online?
As for my self, working in a College with a good, but nevertheless a minor library available, I find publications as NTA really indispensable. The last issue (vol. 48 (2004) no. 2) just arrived, and I gathered the following bibliographic information on relevant Philo literature:Articles:
C. Conway, "Gender and Divine Relativity in Philo of alexandria," JournStudJud 34 (4, '03) 471-491.
D.S. Dodson, "Philo's De Somniis in the Context of Ancient Dream Theories and Classifications," PerspRelStud 30 (3, '03) 299-312.
J.E. Ellis, "Philo's View of Homosexxual Activity," PerspRelStud 30 (3, '03) 313-323.
L.H. Feldman, Philo's Interpretation of Jethro," AusBibRev 51 ('03) 37-46.
L.H. feldman, "Questions about the Great Flood, as Viewed by Philo, Pseudo-Philo, Josephus and the Rabbis," Zeit AltWiss 115 (3, '03) 401-422.
Books:
K. Berthelot, Philanthropia judaica. Le debat autour de la "misanthropie" des lois juives dans l'Antiquite, Supplements to the Journal for the Study of Judaism 76 (Leiden-Boston; Brill, 2003).
F. Calabi (ed.), Italian Studies on Philo of alexandria, Studies in Philo of Alexandria and Mediterranean Antiquity 1 (Bosten-Leiden, Brill, 2003)

It looks like the Perspectives on Religious Studies had a volume dedicated to Philo studies in 2003, and a search on the WWW made the following information available. The journal has it own website: Perspectives on Religious Studies that contain lots on information about the journal and its published issues. (I should have known this, but I don't know evrything.....:-)).
It turns out that their Issue 03 - Fall 2003 in addition to the articles mentioned above, contained the following articles on Philo of Alexandria: Gregory E. Sterling, “Philo Has Not Been Used Half Enough”: The Significance of Philo of Alexandria for the Study of the New Testament: pp. 251-270
Michael Martin, Philo’s Use of Syncrisis: An Examination of Philonic Composition in the Light of the Progymnasmata: pp. 271-298
Andrew E. Arterbury, Abraham’s Hospitality among Jewish and Early Christian Writers: A Tradition History of Gen 18:1-16 and Its Relevance for the Study of the New Testament: pp. 359-376.
The site also presents abstracts to each article, but with no search function. I read through some of the indexes, but did not find any other articles on Philo. But there might be, as I did not read through all.

No comments: